Canada's pictorial stamps of 1938, covering the higher values, represented a very definite theme showing Canada's gateways to the north, south, east and west. The precedent established in 1928 of utilizing the higher denominations to illustrate scenes and subjects of Canadian geographical, industrial and historical interest, follows in this series. In an endeavour to maintain artistic balance of the designs, the Post Offices Department decided in the case of the pictorial stamps of this issue to eliminate subject descriptions from the designs. This information appears in English and French in the marginal paper along with the plate number.
The Chateau Ramezay in Montreal. Erected in 1703 by Claude de Ramezay, the eleventh Governor of Montreal, the building served as headquarters for the Continental Army under General Montgomery in 1775-76. Since 1895, the Chateau has been maintained as a museum and portrait gallery. It became property of the Numismatic and Antiquarian Society of Montreal in 1929. The design of the stamp symbolizes the growth of the Canadian nation while it also reflects a colourful era in the history of Montreal.