The hidden date for this stamp can be found in the bottom-right corner.
The year 1880 proved to be a good year for Canadian art. The Royal Canadian Academy of Arts (a nationwide association of creative artists) and the National Gallery of Canada came into being. In conjunction with the centennial of these events, the Post Office will issue four stamps portraying works created by Academy members and forming part of the collection of the National Gallery. Governor General Dufferin first broached the idea of a Canadian academy of arts. His successor, the Marquis of Lorne, took up the proposal. Difficulties impeded progress. Lorne noted that the project caused "a marvellous amount bitterness and bad language", and that "half the artists are ready just now to choke the other half with their paint brushes". Nevertheless, encouraged by his wife, Princess Louise, Queen Victoria's daughter, he persisted, hoping that the Academy would improve Canadian cultural life by promoting excellence of design, by supporting art schools throughout the country, and by founding a National Gallery at Ottawa. To accomplish the last goal, each person, as a condition of membership in the Academy, donated one of his or her works to the Gallery. Since 1880, academicians have given art now worth approximately $2 000 000 to the institution. Thomas Fuller (1822-1898) was born in England. He arrived in Canada in 1857 and went into partnership in Toronto with Chilion Jones. They designed the original Parliament Buildings, first occupied in 1865 and destroyed by fire in 1916. Fuller's pen-and- watercolour drawing of the structure, deposited in the National Gallery in l883, is reproduced on the second 35-cent stamp. In 1881 the Public Works Department made Fuller its Chief Architect. Jean Morin Designers, a Montreal firm, is responsible for the graphic design and typography for this stamp issue. For the first time in recent years, a lighter version of the Helvetica typeface in capitals has been used for "Canada".