|Date of Issue||September 21, 1984|
|Perforation or Dimension||12.5|
|Series||Lighthouses of Canada|
|Series Time Span||1984 - 1985|
M-NH-VF Mint - Never Hinged - Very Fine
|Mint - Never Hinged - Very Fine||$0.80|
U-VF Used - Very Fine
|Used - Very Fine||$0.30|
The hidden date for this stamp can be found along the right edge of the stamp.
On the occasion of the 250th anniversary of the completion of Louisbourg, the first Canadian lighthouse, Canada Post presents a series of stamps featuring the oldest lighthouses on the East Coast, the St. Lawrence River, the Great Lakes, and the West Coast. This was the first lighthouse built on Canadian shores. It was situated at the entrance to the harbour of the Fortress of Louisbourg, on Canada's East Coast. Between 1731 and 1734, the French government built the substantial stone tower, a circular structure some 70 feet in height, with a wooden lantern that was later replaced by one of bronze and stone. In 1758 British siege guns badly damaged the lighthouse, which later fell into ruin. To illustrate these stamps, Toronto artist Dennis Noble has provided paintings of the four lighthouses as they may have looked when first erected to serve as guides and friends to the mariner navigating Canada's coastal and inland waters. Toronto art director Ken Rodmell has provided the harmonious type design.